Saturday, April 20, 2013

Palm Sunday at the Vatican

I thought I would go to St. Peter's for Palm Sunday Mass...little did I know that half of the world's Catholic population had the same idea.







good thing there was serious crowd control...this guy is the picture of intimidation.



It was a two-hour mass and I was smashed up next to people speaking all kinds of languages who seemed to be doing their own pilgrimages to Rome for Holy Week. I got there just on time so it was already packed, but I squeezed and scooted my way to the front with some strategic moves through the crowds (...a few toes might have been stepped on in the process) but I got to see the Pope! Up close and (almost) personal.





 Hello Pope Francis! 

This guy and I stood next to each other for almost the entirety of the mass...friendly old Italian man.

After Mass, I escaped the crowds and headed down Via della Conciliazione


walked along the river past Castel Sant'Angelo


 and settled down for a relaxing cup of coffee and people-watching in Piazza Novona.



No comments:

Post a Comment