Sunday, April 21, 2013

Favorite spot to wander...Trastevere

Trastevere is a neighborhood of Rome south of Vatican city whose name literally means "beyond the Tiber." It has a rich history dating back before the Middle Ages...Romans captured it during their "regal period" (753-509 BC) but did not build anything there - fishermen and immigrants from the East settled in the area. Before the Middle Ages, an important Jewish community lived here. The multicultural community that flourished just outside the city limits of center-city Rome developed its own culture as a result and to this day, it retains its own vibe. The long, winding, narrow cobblestone streets have remained the same for centuries. It is now a hub for international artists, students (American University of Rome is here, among other international universities), and ex-pats who love the character of the area. There are a myriad of artisan shops, restaurants, pubs, churches, and picturesque streets to keep one occupied for a lifetime. It was in one of these restaurants that I settled for a perfect lunch of pizza and wine...all to myself :)


...before exploring the streets! 




This was probably my favorite area to wander...and if, by some chance, I had to live in Rome one day...this is totally where I would set up shop.

This neighborhood is right on the edge of the hills that surround Rome. Because there were paths leading up the hills, I thought I would take a walk! So glad I did - it was absolutely gorgeous and the view from the top was incredible.

Here is my path in pictures...







There was a plaza at the top with a monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi, the general of Italian revolutionary troops during the unification efforts in the 1860s-70s (like our George Washington in a way, except he didn't become president because Italy became a unified monarchy instead of democracy)


some wildlife is always good to see



and the view from the top of Janiculum Hill (known as Gianicolo in Italian) is wonderful.





From here, I walked down the hill 


and through some winding streets behind Piazza Novona (I kept ending up here) where there were tons of antique shops, jewelry/artisan stores, and bookshops. My absolute favorite was this one...postcards, posters, and piles of used books, magazines, and records. There was also a coffee shop inside!



I will definitely come back here next time I'm in Rome, no question. 

Last fun thing I saw today was this...a shop selling bishop/cardinal/(pope?)-wear...only in Rome? Probably not, but still funny.








No comments:

Post a Comment