Saturday, September 22, 2012

St. Bride's

My "getting-to-know-London" spree has so far involved me pushing myself onto a Barclays bike and getting lost...riding around in one direction until I run into a one-way street (they don't mark those well on maps...). Then I get turned around, going the exact opposite direction I intended. This causes me to ride in circles. Surprisingly, I do make it places, just not very quickly. This is precisely why I decided, after my trip to the Tate, I would WALK home. And thank goodness I did! 

Walking very slowly on the sidewalk because my cup of coffee was very full, I happened to look to my left and see this beautiful church! 

St. Brides, tucked in between two office buildings.


St. Brides is a site where people have been worshipping for over 2000 years. Archaeological evidence shows that there was a Christian Celtic community active on this very spot. 

So cool!

Beneath the church, there is a crypt where you can still see the ruins left from when the Romans built a church here. After the Anglo-Saxon invasion to Britain, a Saxon church was built on top of the spot. After that, there was a Norman church. This church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 of London. Christopher Wren (builder of St. Paul's Cathedral) designed the another, new version, of St. Bride's. The steeple he designed actually inspired the traditional "wedding cake" steeple.

Unfortunately, in 1940, this version of the church was burnt down in a fire-bomb raid on London. Only the steeple was left. 

When the modern church was being rebuilt after WWII, excavations were done on the foundation and this is when archaeologists discovered the Roman ruins. Today they are preserved in a humble museum of sorts in what would be the "basement" of the church.


They even found pieces of the medieval church and have them on display.


The church has an incredibly rich history - it went from Catholic to Anglican (thanks to Henry VIII) and back again to Catholic (thank you Queen Mary for burning the "heretic" bishop appointed by your brother Henry, RIP Father John Cardmaker). It has literally lived and breathed the changes religion underwent in 16th-century England.

It is was ALSO a well-established hub for writers and printers - Milton himself was a parishioner.


Today, Mass is still held each Sunday. Daily Mass is held in the crypt (aside Roman ruins) below the church. 

It honors its journalistic roots and held all-night vigils when journalists like John McCarthy and Terry Anderson were held hostage. 

What an incredible place! So happy I took the time to step inside. 


No comments:

Post a Comment