Friday, July 5, 2013

Picnics, Punting and Pimms

There was a small Princeton reunion for the UK at Oxford last weekend - the email promised a picnic outside Christ Church College (complete with Pimms) and a punting boat reserved for the afternoon. Never one to miss out on Pimms or the prospect of taking up a new pastime (ok I'll stop with the alliteration) I jumped on the bus and headed out to the country! Post-picnic, we headed straight for the river and jumped in a boat...




It being early summer, we saw so many of these little guys! 



so cute. 






I was loving it. After punting (a new sport at which I am proud to say I am actually good at!) we walked around town and visited a few colleges. I'd been to Oxford twice before but never inside Christ Church Cathedral. This should look familiar...
File:Hall of Christ Church, Oxford.jpg

Harry Potter, anyone?! Pretty cool to see it. Here was the inner courtyard

File:Christ Church college Quadrangle Oxford UK.JPG


After this we walked around a few others...but sadly I cannot remember their names! 



The only one I do remember is Magdalen (pronounced Maud-lin...don't pronounce it any other way lest you blow your cover as a tourist) which was founded in 1458. It is without question the grandest and most posh (and wealthiest) college at Oxford, featuring its own deer park and canal for private punting...the place looks like a country house situated in the middle of Oxford. 


...I mean Princeton was beautiful and all, but this really just does not compare. Love it. 

All in all great day seeing new places and meeting new Princeton friends - so glad I went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment